Manali, HP – India
Duration: 3 days
Maximum Number Of Travelers: 9
Prices Start At ₹ 6,700 INR / 97 $ USD
Beas Kund: A trek to source of river Beas with terrific mountain views
Beas Kund has always been a famous trek around Manali. After all, it takes you right to the source of the river that flows through the town. (You might have followed the very same river upstream while getting into Manali!)
But one of the reasons trekkers love this trek is the setting. Picture this: Lush green grasslands flourish below the summits of the three biggest mountains around Manali. And hidden in these grasslands is the emerald lake out of which the river Beas emerges. The contrasting sight of this serene water body nestled in between jagged mountain peaks of Pir Panjal range adds to the beauty of his setting.
Standing here, there is also a keen sense of being near the source of the raging river you see in the valley below. This emerald kund branches off into streams, tumbling waterfalls right until it converges into the boiling Beas river. As is the case with every river that feeds a civilisation or settlements surrounding it, the Beas Kund is also associated with legend. It is believed that Rishi Vyas, who wrote the Mahabharata took his daily bath in this lake. It’s possible that the term Beas Kund has been derived from Vyas, the sage; and Kund, a lake.
This combination of big snowy summits towering above you, the greenery of the grasslands and the lake draws everyone to this trek. While this trek can be done by beginners, we would advise preparation. The climb from around 8000 ft in the beginning of the trek to over 12,000 ft is no mean feat.
What To Watch Out for
An Amphitheatre Of Big Mountains
The Beas Kund trail offers you close, base-to-summit views of big mountains of Manali like Friendship Peak, Shitidhar, Ladakhi and Hanuman Tibba. This is just within four days of trekking! These kind of views of a mountain are usually gifts given to mountaineers and hardcore trekkers – after days of rigorous trekking. No wonder mountaineering institutes establish their base camp on this trail to train aspiring mountaineers in snow and ice craft. On a clear day, you’ll also be able to spot Mt Indrasen, Deo Tibba and more peaks from the Pir Panjal range.
The grasslands of Bakarthach and Dhundhi
Just below these tall mountains are big grasslands of Bakarthach and Dhundhi. Bakarthach is a shepherd’s field, filled with grazing sheep and bovine. Tiny streams spread around this lush meadow. It is a marvellous expanse of greenery! Dhundhi, on the other hand, is the grassland you camp on in the beginning of your trek. In this campsite, you see the Beas River tumbling noisily on one side and a plethora of blooming flowers on the other.
Trekking In Ancient Deodar Forests
Just five minutes into the trail, ancient deodar trees rise, creating a dense coniferous forest. They are so tall that you’ll not be able to see the tree tops even if you crane your neck. You can also spot pine and maple trees. It’s hard to believe that this place is just 15 km from the bustling town of Manali.
Trekking from Solang Valley to Beas Kund and back ; Staying in Camps ; Bonfire at Night ; Group Activities and Leisure Games during Non Trekking Hours :
• Beas Kund, Manali, Manali Tehsil 175131 India
- Departure: Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Tent Accomodation, Sleeping Bags, Blankets and Mattresses
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Transfer From and To Manali
- Trek Permits
- First Aid Medical Kit
- Any kind of personal expenses or for porters or poniesersonal expenses or for porters or ponies
- Any other food & beverage charges other than food menu
- No kind of insurance or medical expenses
- Transportation charges before and after the starting and ending points of the excursion respectively
- Any other costing involved due to any kind of natural calamity, forced circumstances
- Returns to original departure point
Once you have booked and received your travel voucher, the contact details for the travel service operator will be on this voucher under the heading “Important Information”. Where applicable, you are required to call the travel service operator directly to advise of additional information such as:
- Hotel for pick up
- Weights for helicopter tours
- Choice of times for tours
- Special dietary requirements, meal choices etc.
Beas Kund Trek
You must be logged in to post a comment.